Friday, February 25, 2011

OMG! I'm a Survivalist?!?! And Other Thoughts.

Hmm... Let's see here. I believe that people should pretty much take care of themselves, and should NEVER demand that someone else takes care of them, or anyone else. Thought interruption here: Small children are not included in this. Diapers don't change themselves! I believe that it is wise to store up some food in the pantry and make sure you have a source of water just in case nature comes calling with 100 mph winds, earthquakes or unnatural amounts of snow, or for changes in employment status. Even the unthinkable can happen. Societies do collapse from time to time, and we seem to be pushing ourselves there from both ends. I like our Constitution and think it should be followed more closely to the Spirit in which it was written. It's time to stop playing games with it. It is not a "living" document. It is a contract between sovereign citizens and the Government they elected to protect them from people who would limit their rights (the Government). I believe that the Second Amendment is an acknowledgment that we have the individual right to keep and bear arms, and that this right shall not be infringed. OMG! I'm a survivalist!

With that out of the way, I can concentrate on more important matters. What have I done today to make any of my hopes, dreams and aspirations come true? Have I done anything to make me closer to God, be a better husband or dad, or to provide for my family? Well, in keeping with my promise to not be too blatant with you in regards to my faith, I'll remain silent in that area. Besides, I was lazy again, and didn't follow through.

As far as being a better husband and father, I did all the carting around that I needed to do and cleaned and cooked. It seems that the life of a stay at home dad is 20% driver, 15% errand boy, 3% IT services, 30% Cook/Butler and 32% figuring out how not to be bored by the other 68%. I think our decision of having me stay home while my wife pursued her career was the right choice for us on a family level. It may have been a less right choice on a personal level.

What did I do to provide for my family? I went shopping and bought quite a lot of extra food stuffs and then vacuum packed them when I got home. I also spoke with some people from our church who mill their own flour and corn meal. I'm getting advice from them on how to start up doing that myself. It wouldn't be very expensive to buy bulk grains and pack them in mylar bags in plastic buckets. This keeps the grains safe from rodents and moisture, and by using O2 absorbers in the bag, insect infestation in kept in check. Most grains can be stored for 20-30 years this way. I think Brown rice is shorter than that because of the high fat content.

These are the baby steps I am taking to become self sufficient. Things always seem to start out slower than we want them to.

No comments:

Post a Comment