Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 19: I've Done It Now!

Here is where procrastination meets terror. I have all of my plants ordered, including 13 fruit and nut trees. The only things I have not ordered are raspberry canes and blueberry bushes. What I have not done, is terrifying. I have not got the raised beds constructed, nor have I physically gone out into the yard to place where the trees will be planted. And I have not started my seeds yet. This is the ugliness of my adopted nature. I am a terrible procrastinator, or Terribilis cunctatrix in Latin. I absolutely have to finish the beds this week. Even if I don't have everything I need for the fence, the beds must get done. I also have to start the seeds. I hope they all get here today.

I spoke to the local Zoning Officer for my township and found out that I cannot have chickens or rabbits on my one acre. It seems some few years ago, before this draconian ordinance was adopted, it was perfectly legal to have farm animals on your property. Now you must be the proud owner of 6 or more acres of land. What happened to make the council adopt such a drastic piece of law? Apparently a resident decided that they wanted to operate a hog farm on their one acre plot. He had 50 pigs at the time the council put their foot down. The Zoning Officer did tell me that all ordinances are written to have variances considered, bless his heart! So I have to write a letter to him the describes exactly what I want to do, and he will deny my request. That is what then gets the ball rolling on a variance. I am relatively certain that I can argue for a limited number of chickens and rabbits on my land. Then again, you never really know how immovable people are until you try to reason with them.

I have thought about the design for my smoker and have settled on using our old chest freezer as the "house" part of the smoke house. I bought some of the piping and fitting that will be needed. I even bought the cutest little chimney cap for it! I need to find some screen material to keep bugs out of the house, but that is all I need to get it built. Oh! I need something for the fire containment, but I haven't found that yet. I'll try to post photos of the project or maybe a video. It should be fun!

It's supposed to rain for the next few days. I expect that means I'll be paying the price for putting off building the beds for my garden. Terribilis nego Cunctatrix!

No comments:

Post a Comment