Thursday, June 14, 2012

Getting Ready For 2012

Seed catalogs are beginning to arrive, though not as many as I thought I would be getting. Maybe it's still too early, or maybe they have heard that I am not a very good gardener. Perhaps I just need to visit more websites and sign up for free catalogs! I've always heard that seed catalogs in the mail are a sure sign that Spring is just around the corner, though I suspect that like saying Christmas is upon us when the decorations in department stores go up in early October. It is time to start planning my next foray into the garden, and I want to make sure I don't wast treasure or effort this year. Well, maybe I want to limit waste. I don't think a mere mortal can actually achieve the goal of eliminating wasted time and treasure.

One of the more confusing aspects, for me, is how to plan the next year's garden. Crop rotation is simple enough, but when you add in consideration for succession, that adds a far greater amount of complexity. I think I will create an "if/then" chart, or more accurately an "if/then not" chart. It should help me figure out which plants should not follow directly after last year's plantings.

First, I want to add some gardens this year. I would like to increase the amount of space I have for herbs and spices. The spiral is a nice looking little thing, but I over planted it last year. Now I am faced with having to transplant the rosemary and the lavender. I will have to move the lemon grass, if that even comes back. I hope it does, but it is far too large a plant for that little herb spiral. I want to add some cumin to the garden, and some fennel and dill weed. I haven't decided yet what to do about the horse radish. I want to grow it, but I don't want it in my raised beds. I may try that in containers. I am also planning a large garden behind the pole barn for corn and sunflowers, but It may not get enough sun back there. It would be smarter for me to do a daylight study there first. I am also planning on adding a garden next to my raised beds for winter squash, sweet potatoes and watermelon. This wouldn't be a raised bed, but rather following the Back To Eden approach. It's a kind of lasagna gardening method.

Second, I need to find room for raspberry canes. I'm not quite sure where to put them in the yard. They will probably end up in the enclosure with the squash and watermelons. I know I have to keep the deer away from them. Those vermin will eat darned near anything that grows. I swear they would happily munch on poison ivy.

No comments:

Post a Comment