Friday, September 7, 2012

The Homestead Wannabe Moves To Minnesota

Well, in due time we will move. As it stands, we are in the middle of the first week of living apart as a family. "She Who Must Be Obeyed" is living in an apartment in a small town in Minnesota, while the girls and I hold the fort here in New Jersey. As I calculate it, based on a move date of July 5th, 2013, it will have been 305 days since SWMBO left the building. That move date is a sliding figure of course. What this means is that the girls and I have been left without supervision for four full days! The critical things are getting done, as well as important things. School papers are being signed and returned and doctor appointments are being kept. It is the less important things that I always have trouble with.

I forgot to put out the garbage on my first garbage day post-SWMBO. Of course it wasn't just any old garbage. This was a garbage can full of chicken carcass and guts from the chicken dumpling soup I made for the little woman's farewell dinner. Consequently, the garage smells a bit like an over ripe landfill. The girls bravely make their way through the stench both morning and afternoon. I think it may be from convenience rather than bravery. I'm pretty sure they were calculating the number of steps from the garage door as opposed to the front door.

There are now three, soon to be four, days of mail waiting to be sorted. I hate sorting mail. Truth be told, I am a bit of a hoarder, and it just feels wrong to throw out all that crap that someone took so much time to prepare for me. Youngest and I have been very good about getting the newspaper everyday. At least my Darling (SWMBO) doesn't have to fret about piles of newspaper awaiting her bi-weekly return!

I guess no mention of mail is complete without mentioning flat files (things piled aimlessly on any flat spot in the house). Mail is the greatest generator of flat files that I know of, besides books, magazines, papers, electronics and well... stuff. We have been amazingly conservative in our creation of flat files in the absence of our Guide. I have to take my "Atta boys" where I can find them!

No comments:

Post a Comment